Successful Project Management Book PDF Free Download
The Purpose of the Project Management Guidelines
The purpose of these project management guidelines is to help you to organize, plan and control your projects. They are designed to help you to maximize the potential for your projects to succeed by helping you address each element of your project at the right time and to the right level of detail for the size and complexity of your project.
What is a successful project?
To be successful a project must:
- deliver the outcomes and benefits required by the organization, its delivery partners, and other stakeholder organizations
- Create and implement deliverables that meet agreed requirements
- Meet time targets
- Stay within financial budgets
- Involve all the right people
- Make the best use of resources in the organization and elsewhere
- Take account of changes in the way the organization operates
- Manage any risks that could jeopardize the success
- Take into account the needs of staff and other stakeholders who will be impacted by the changes brought about by the project.
Why use this Successful Project Management PDF guide?
Unfortunately, projects sometimes fail to deliver, for a variety of avoidable reasons,
- Failure to take into account the needs and influences of stakeholders
- Failure to communicate and keep the stakeholders informed of developments
- Lack of attention to the impact of project work on the normal business of the organization
- Producing expensive ‘Gold plated’ solutions when simple workable products would suffice
- Failure to identify and deal with the many risks that can affect the achievement of project objectives
- Insufficient attention to planning, monitoring, and control of the work of the project.
What these guidelines cover – and do not cover
To help you manage your projects the guidance, which can be applied to any type of project in the organization and its delivery partners, provides:
- The ‘what, why, who, when, and how of project management activities
- Advice on scaling project management projects of different sizes, duration, and criticality
- FFlowcharts and checklists to steer you through key project management tasks
- Access to templates for essential project management documents/forms.
The following are not addressed in the guide, but are available from a variety of other sources:
- General project management theory
- The details of the PRINCE2 methodology (although the guide is fully consistent with PRINCE2)
- Instruction on how to apply generic project management techniques
- The soft skills necessary for effective project management